In this article, you'll learn how to format each column in your file to get the best results when you import your collection data. Please also refer to the Import collection from a CSV file for further information.
Available headers for your collection CSV file
Required headers include:
Optional headers include:
|Artist Birth Date|
|Artist Death Date|
|ULAN or other source IDs|
|Exhibition opening date|
|Exhibition ending date|
|Exhibition display date|
Some additional things to consider
Additional (optional) headers:
- This information is not currently displayed anywhere in the application, so it will be ignored for the time being.
- Image supports more than one image using either multiple filenames or multiple URLs. These values will be separated by a comma (,) and will be encapsulated in double-quotes (").
- Example using Image File method: "Image1.png,Image2.png,Image3.png,Image4.png"
- Example using Image Links method: "https://yourmuseum.edu/image1,https://yourmuseum.edu/image2,https://yourmuseum.edu/image3,https://yourmuseum.edu/image4"
- The image header is optional, which means that it is possible to not have any value for it. In this case, a placeholder image will appear if no image is defined. Otherwise, the uploaded/referenced image will be displayed.
- The first filename or URL that appears in the list of images will be considered the primary image and treated as such. You can add the filenames/links in any order.
If the copyright field includes any of the following, they will be considered public domain:
- Public Domain
If the copyright field includes any other metadata that is not listed above, they will be considered under copyright, including:
- Unknown Copyright
- Undetermined Copyright
File type support
Prepare the collection you would like to import (in a tool such as Excel) and save it as a CSV file. Data that is not saved as a CSV file can't be uploaded into our system.
Collection Upload Limitations
Limit on number of collection objects depends on subscription plan:
- Small: 2500 Objects
- Medium: 5000 Objects
- Large: 25000 Objects
- Unlimited: Unlimited number of objects
Sample CSV template
If you do not already have a CSV file, or you want to start from scratch, you can use our CSV templates below to get started.